Balam Kanche caves by Chichen Itza

This section will host different posts of things to do in Cancun and the surrounding area including the Riviera Maya and parts of Yucatan like Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Rio Lagartos, etc

Moderator: Cancun Manny

Cancun Manny

Balam Kanche caves by Chichen Itza

Post by Cancun Manny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Ok, so I’ve seen a couple of different ways to spell Balam Kanche, in fact on the way there, you will see sings with the name spelled differently.

Balam means jaguar in Mayan, and Kanche means something like a magical place. This caves have been open to the public for some time now, but since they are not “profitable” to the tour agencies, these stop is usually not mentioned/included.

Pictures of Balam Kanche here

This tour is not for everyone, so please read on before deciding if you want to go.

Balam kanche is about 10 minutes north of Chichen Itza, on your way to Valladolid. They allow groups of people to go in once an hour on the hour. If you get there at 11:05am, you would more than likely have to wait until 12pm to be able to go in. I make sure to be back in the car at Chichen Itza by :45 after the hour, that gives us enough time to get there.

Each hour they have a language scheduled for the sound track, don’t let this be a factor. The recording/sound track doesn’t really add much to the tour, any language will be fine. The cost is 105 pesos per person

The tour itself lasts about 20 to 30 minutes. You walk down into the caves, for about 1/3 of a mile. You walk through a couple of chambers. You get to see some very neat formations, and some original crafts, like pots, left by the Mayans there. At the end you come to some water, then walk back out the same way you came in.

It does get very hot and muggy in there. Not recommended for groups with little kids, or with older kids (like grandpas and grandmas). People that have limitations walking, going up/down steps, etc wouldn’t enjoy this stop too much. However, they have a beautiful garden on site that those not wanting to go into the caves could visit while the rest of the group goes into the caves.

This is the spot that usually gets crossed out of the Chichen Itza tour list first. Mainly because of the time restrictions they have put in place. This is the perfect spot for those that tour Chichen Itza in about 1 to 1.5 hours, the ones that do a quick walk through. For those that like to take in more about the sites, time would definitely be better spent at Chichen Itza.
I do put a lot of time and effort to provide much detailed information to help you have a great time while in Cancun. If you feel I provided you with valuable useful information and want to reward me, why not buy me a beer? Cancun Manny