Ek Balam Mayan ruins

This section will host different posts of things to do in Cancun and the surrounding area including the Riviera Maya and parts of Yucatan like Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Rio Lagartos, etc

Moderator: Cancun Manny

Cancun Manny

Ek Balam Mayan ruins

Post by Cancun Manny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Ek Balam is a complex of Ruins located in the state of Yucatan.

Ek Balam was found for the first time in 1886, but it wasn't until 1984 when the investigations in this place started. The place was opened to the public in the mid 90s. The size of this zone is not as big as Chichen Itza, but what makes Ek Balam a majestic zone is that you can climb up the buildings.

Ek Balam is know for its main altar. Ek Balam means black jaguar in Mayan. The main alter has a door way that represents the mouth of the jaguar. You can see the fangs around it, then the eyes and the rest of the features. What is amazing is that over 90% of it is original, that makes it more interesting. This altar or chamber was used as the burial site for one of its rulers. The mayans put a wall infront of the altar, and filled it in with dirt. It remained sealed until mid to late 90s.

The Acropolis-is the principal building in Ek Balam, is 32 meters high, is taller than El Castillo in Chichen-Itza, in the middle of the building you can find beautiful stucco work mentioned above.

You can climp up all the buildings, is a nice adventure for the ones that like the culture in a different way, because you can walk around the area and explore on your own.

The entrance fee is about $98 pesos per person, kids under 10 years old only pay $5 pesos, if you want to have a certified guide to tell you more about the history of the site you can find them at the entrance and they will charge you $600 pesos (about $60 usd). There are two that speaking english, but I am not particularly pleased with their service, but some do find it enjoyable.

Ek Balam opens a 8:00 am and close at 5:00 pm, that means you have to purchase your tickets before 4:15pm, and be in the site shortly after. At 4:50pm they start asking people to leave, but you can stay until 5pm. Most people tend to visit this site for 45 minutes to an hour.

Ek Balam ruins are a great site to compliment Chichen Itza. At Chichen Itza you are like at an outside museum, where you can see everything, but you can't touch or climb anything. Ek Balam is smaller, but you climb the main pyramid, go into the different chambers, and see some ruins in their natural undisturbed way.

Ek Balam is a 20 to 30 minute drive from Valladolid, which is why we suggest being done with lunch by 3:30pm the latest, so there is enough time to get to Ek Balam before 4:15pm, when they close the ticket booth.
I do put a lot of time and effort to provide much detailed information to help you have a great time while in Cancun. If you feel I provided you with valuable useful information and want to reward me, why not buy me a beer? Cancun Manny