Akumal Turtle Bay in the Riviera Maya

This section will host different posts of things to do in Cancun and the surrounding area including the Riviera Maya and parts of Yucatan like Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Rio Lagartos, etc

Moderator: Cancun Manny

Cancun Manny

Akumal Turtle Bay in the Riviera Maya

Post by Cancun Manny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Akumal is a Turtle Bay located between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum, is a small town next to the beach where there are sea turtles all year round.

The beach of Akumal is very calm because it is a bay, at times it feels as if you are in a pool swimming with sea turtles.

Akumal's turtle bay is known for its easy access to see the sea turtles in their natural habitat, but there is plenty of reef in the area to explore with some exotic fish, octopus, crab, etc.

Around Akumal you can find lots of dive and snorkel shops, but actually, you can just rent or bring your own snorkel equipment and swim about 50 meters into the ocean and you will see turtles, of course you gotta find them,but is not that hard, they are often on top of the grassy areas eating away at the sea grass. Is not necessary to rent a boat to take you to do the snorkel.

Sea turtles are considered a dangered species so they are protected. You are not allowed to touch them or bother them in any way.

Akumal's turtle bay is a public beach so you don't have to pay any fees to visit. If you bring your own snorkel you can go in at your leisure, otherwise you can rent the gear at one of the rental shops. I suggest renting at the Akumal's main dive shop so you end up with access to their showers after. Cost is $15 for the full set including mask, fins, snorkel and life jacket.

With tourist groups we usually make a quick 1 to 1.5 hour stop to snorkel with the sea turtles, but Akumal turtle bay is the type of beach I sometimes visit with my friends. We bring a small beach umbrella, a cooler and some snacks. The beach is nice enough and we can do many snorkeling outings throughout the day.
I do put a lot of time and effort to provide much detailed information to help you have a great time while in Cancun. If you feel I provided you with valuable useful information and want to reward me, why not buy me a beer? Cancun Manny