Cenote Xkeken

This section will host different posts of things to do in Cancun and the surrounding area including the Riviera Maya and parts of Yucatan like Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Rio Lagartos, etc

Moderator: Cancun Manny

Cancun Manny

Cenote Xkeken

Post by Cancun Manny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Cenote Xkeken is one of the most beautiful cenotes in the Yucatan peninsula, specially if you get there on a non cloudy day when the sun is at its peak.

You can see some pictures of Xkeken Cenote here

Xkeken means female pig or female wild boar. The story that the locals share is that in the 50's or 60's a hunger shot a wild boar (Xkeken) and wounded it. He followed his hunt until it disappeared in between a pile of rocks. He then started moving around the rocks to find the Xkeken but ended up finding the natural entrance to the cenote, fresh water. Some variations of the story say the Xkeken went in through the rocks, and then came out wet, and this amazed the hunter because they didn't know they had water so close, and the local village had been having problems locating fresh water.

Xkeken cenote has a lot of eye candy out of the water, but it is very enjoyable to jump in and swim around, specially after the long walk around Chichen Itza. They rent snorkel masks there, but there isn't much to see underwater so might be more of a hassle than anything. Xkeken Cenote is well known by the locals, bus since they don't pay any commissions or kickbacks to any tour operators, few tourists are taken there. This is actually a great thing, since usually there are less than 20 to 30 people at any given time. Often there is only one or two other small groups when we visit. (Some of the more commercial/touristy trap type cenotes like Ik Kill usually have hundreds of people at any given time)

The cenote Xkeken is located at the entrance of the town of Dzitnup, which is more like a Mayan village. Dzitnup is located about 5 minutes before you get to Valladolid, about 40 to 45 minutes from Chichen Itza.

Admission costs are 56 pesos per person.
I do put a lot of time and effort to provide much detailed information to help you have a great time while in Cancun. If you feel I provided you with valuable useful information and want to reward me, why not buy me a beer? Cancun Manny