Ik Kill cenote by Chichen Itza

This section will host different posts of things to do in Cancun and the surrounding area including the Riviera Maya and parts of Yucatan like Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Rio Lagartos, etc

Moderator: Cancun Manny

Cancun Manny

Ik Kill cenote by Chichen Itza

Post by Cancun Manny » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Ik Kill is hands down the most visited cenote in the area. If you have never visited a cenote before you will be impressed, however the cenotes in the town of Dzitnup are even nicer.

The reason Ik Kill is the most visited cenote is because the large majority of the tours from Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum and Merida that visit Chichen Itza include a stop at Ik Kill to enjoy the cenote and a buffet lunch. Ik Kill offers half of their public rate as a commission to the tour operators, so tours that include everything on their price only have to pay about 60 to 70 pesos per person for their clients to have the buffet and the cenote experience. The catch is that the drinks are not included, they are not cheap, and they don't allow you to bring your own drinks from the van/bus.

Because most of the tour operators take their groups there, you can usually find hundreds of people at a time in the cenote. The same tour operators that take tourists to Ik Kill wouldn't take their friends and family there if they came to visit, basically Ik Kill has become a tourist trap. If your goal is to see as many cenotes as you can in the area, Ik Kill is worth seeing, but if you only want to visit one or two cenotes, you would probably enjoy Xkeken and Samula better, not only are the cenotes themselves more appealing, they also don't get as crowded.
I do put a lot of time and effort to provide much detailed information to help you have a great time while in Cancun. If you feel I provided you with valuable useful information and want to reward me, why not buy me a beer? Cancun Manny