Cenotes safe?

You have questions, I might have answers. Just log in or register and post your question.

Moderator: Cancun Manny

guyver

Cenotes safe?

Post by guyver » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi,

I see that swimming in Cenotes seems to be a popular tourist activity. Is the water clean? I'm concerned about bacteria and such. Do you ever hear of tourists getting sick swimming in those places? BTW, are mosquitos pretty bad in those areas? Mosquitos seem to really like my blood.

Cancun Manny

Re: Cenotes safe?

Post by Cancun Manny » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:04 pm

Hello,

Yes, cenotes are clean. There are no rivers above ground in the peninsula, which is a big slab of limestone. When it rains, water filters through the limestone and collects underneath, in underground rivers, which flow out into the ocean. Because of this, cenote water is pretty pure. Mosquits are usually not a problem since it is not standing water, it does have flow. In over 7 years of doing this, mosquitos have been an issue about 15 to 20 times, when conditions had been just perfect for them (they usually are in the middle of the jungle after all)
I do put a lot of time and effort to provide much detailed information to help you have a great time while in Cancun. If you feel I provided you with valuable useful information and want to reward me, why not buy me a beer? Cancun Manny